There’s more to puppies than just the treats, toys, and those chewed up brand new shoes you just bought. Critics say that puppies have the key, not only to our hearts, but to our health as well. Think about it, what do those big puppy dog eyes, unforgettable puppy breath, and sweet kisses do for you? Here is what the professionals say...
- Pets Are Natural Mood Enhancers - It only takes a few minutes of watching a dog or cat to feel less anxious and less stressed. Your body actually goes through physical changes in that time that make a difference in your mood.
- Keep Blood Pressure In Check - You still need to watch your weight and exercise, but many studies show that people with animals have lower blood pressure and lower heart rate.
- Fight Depression - Therapists have been known to prescribe a pet as a way of dealing with and recovering from depression. Petting a cat or dog has a calming affect. And taking care of a pet (walking with it, grooming it, playing with it) takes you out of yourself and helps you feel better about the way you spend your time.
- More Interaction, Less Isolation - One key to a healthy mind is staying engaged with others, and pet owners have a tendency to want to talk with other pet owners. A dog is a conversation waiting to happen.
- Better Physical Fitness- People who own dogs tend to be more physically active and less overweight then people who don’t. Taking a dog for a daily 30-minute walk will keep you moving and ensure that you maintain physical activity.
So next time you walk by the pet store, instead of taking a small glance and thinking “Aww how cute”, take a second glance because who knows maybe the key to your recovery is looking you right in the eye!!!