Poor nutrition can affect our mood and physical health. Studies on nutrition and mental health have even linked the foods we eat with depression and anxiety. Because food has such an effect on our bodies, moods and minds, nutrition is an important aspect of the mental health recovery process.
It is easy to begin a routine of healthy eating when you incorporate healthy, delicious meals into your daily life. By focusing on delicious foods, you never even notice what past, unhealthy flavors you are missing. If you have never made banana soft serve, it’s time to try!
Banana soft serve is a sweet and healthy alternative to ice cream that takes only minutes to make. Because it is made uniquely with bananas, it can offer nutritional benefits unavailable in traditional ice creams. Adding in healthy ingredients like chia, spirulina or cacao powder can add a nutritional boost to this sweet, summery treat.
- Freeze 2 sliced bananas in a container.
- Once frozen, add bananas to a food processor.
- Turn on the processor and let it run for five minutes, scraping down every once in a while. You may or may not need to add a splash of milk to the bananas.
- As they churn, the bananas will become increasingly light and fluffy. The finished product should be smooth and resemble a creamy bowl of soft serve.
- Scoop bananas into a bowl, top with nuts or toppings of your choice and enjoy!
Variation – Cherry Chocolate: Use one banana and ¾ cup of frozen cherries. Once smooth, add two tablespoons of dark chocolate chunks and ¼ cup of frozen cherries. Pulse until combined.
Other Variations: Add a tablespoon of peanut butter or cocoa powder or a teaspoon of matcha powder. There are countless ways to customize banana soft serve to fit your mood and the season. Banana gingersnap? Pumpkin spice banana? It’s all up to your imagination.