As fall and winter approach, we get ready to boot up and brave the chilly air. There are so many seasonal activities to enjoy outdoors, from hikes to farmers markets to ice-skating. When removing your boots after a long day, your toes may be frozen and your feet chilled, a feeling that is anything but relaxing!
Keep this recipe on hand to soothe your feet on cold days. The spices in this foot mask increase circulation and create a feeling of warmth. The scent of orange is invigorating; studies have shown that it reduces anxiety, boosts mood and promotes feelings of joy. Olive oil and honey, meanwhile, moisturize dry winter skin.
Winter Spice Foot Mask
- ½ cups whole oats
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons warm water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 4 drops orange essential oil.
- In a food processor, grind the oats into a fine powder. Transfer to a bowl and add the remaining ingredients, stirring until blended into a thick paste.
- Prepare two warm, wet washcloths by soaking them in hot water. Wring out excess water and set aside.
- Sitting with your feet in a large basin, use your hands to spread a thick layer of the mask on each foot, covering it completely up to the ankles.
- Wipe hands clean and wrap each foot in a washcloth to seal in moisture.
- Relax for 10 minutes. When done, lift off the washcloths, rinse your feet in warm water and pat try with a towel.
- Follow with your favorite moisturizer.
After a long day on your feet in the cold, it’s nice to come home to a quiet moment of self-care. Cozy up with tea or hot chocolate, and when you are done, slip into your favorite knit socks. Most of all, enjoy the season!
Recipe source: Whole Living