This warmly spiced seafood dish will lift your mood on the gloomiest of days. Unlike traditional risottos that require constant stirring, this microwave version requires virtually no work but yields exceptionally creamy results. Try serving with roasted green beans or sautéed kale.
Ingredients | Microwave Risotto
- 2 tablespoons light butter
- ½ cup frozen chopped onion
- 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
Ingredients | Scallops
- 1 pound sea scallops, about 1 inch thick
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Orange zest (optional)
- Make the risotto.
- Heat butter for risotto in a 1 ½-quart microwave-safe dish, uncovered, at high for 30 seconds or until melted.
- Add onion and rice, stirring to coat.
- Cook, uncovered, at high for 4 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth and cook, uncovered at high nine minutes.
- Stir well and cook, uncovered, at high for nine more minutes.
- Remove from microwave and let stand five minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in salt, pepper and cheese.
- While risotto is cooking, make the scallops.
- Rinse scallops and pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine scallops and oil, tossing to coat.
- Place a large non-stick skillet over high heat until hot.
- Add half of scallops; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Remove scallops from pan; wipe pan clean with paper towels.
- Repeat procedure with remaining scallops.
- Combine orange juice and next three ingredients.
- Add orange juice mixture to pan.
- Cook over medium-high heat 1 minute or until thoroughly heated, stirring often.
- Serve sauce with scallops.
- Garnish with orange zest, if desired.
Source: Cooking Light