This quick and easy soup has a short ingredients list and can be made a day ahead of time for an instant meal when needed. Saffron has a warming flavor and lends beautiful color to the soup. The cauliflower base is high in vitamin C, folate, fiber, anti-inflammatory antioxidants and many other important nutrients. This soup is a tasty way to start the year off right!
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely crumbled saffron threads
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 ½ pounds cauliflower, cut into ½- to ¾-inch pieces
- ¾ cup half and half
- Thinly sliced fresh chives
- Combine 2 cups water and 2 cups low-salt chicken broth in medium saucepan.
- Bring mixture to a simmer.
- Remove from heat and add saffron threads.
- Cover and steep 20 minutes.
- Melt butter in heavy medium pot over medium-low heat.
- Add chopped onions and sauté until very tender but not brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add cauliflower pieces; stir to coat.
- Add saffron broth.
- Bring to a simmer over high heat.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until cauliflower pieces are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree cauliflower mixture in a food processor until smooth.
- Transfer puree to a large saucepan.
- Stir in half and half; bring to a simmer.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Garnish with sliced fresh chives and serve.
Source: Bon Appétit