Self-care is about a total awareness of the things we do for ourselves and how taking time to ourselves contributes to our overall wellness.
In our residential treatment program, women learn various ways to take time out through hobbies or spa time. We make amazing at-home recipes for facials, hair masks, body scrubs and soaks.
This recipe for a whipped shaving cream makes shower time even more luxurious. Combine with a shower steamer – a ball of essential oils that release in the hot steam of a shower for their scent benefits – for an all-over sense experience.
The castile soap in this recipe keeps skin moisturized and helps the razor glide against the skin, minimizing razor burn. The addition of almond oil and glycerin results in even smoother skin. Combine that with the scent of lavender, which has been shown to reduce anxiety and stress while promoting relaxation, and you may never want to buy store-bought shaving cream again.
- 1 ¾ cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon Borax
- 1 bar castile soap, grated (such as Dr. Bronner’s Lavender Castile Soap)
- 1 teaspoon almond oil
- 1 teaspoon vegetable glycerin
- 25 drops lavender essential oil
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the water, borax and castile soap until completely dissolved.
- Pour the soap mixture into a blender and blend until white and frothy.
- Immediately pour the frothy mixture back into the large mixing bowl.
- Add the almond oil, vegetable glycerin and essential oils and mix well.
- Stir occasionally as mixture cools.
- Once cool, store in a glass jar and use when needed to shave.