Enjoy the last few weeks of this cold winter by warming up with a flavorful, Italian tortellini soup. The recipe is super simple, with only 10 inexpensive ingredients that can be found at any grocery store. This zesty soup is sure to delight even non-veggie lovers.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 2 zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 lb. fresh cheese tortellini
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Sauté the vegetables.
- In a soup pot over medium-high heat, warm the 2 Tbs. olive oil.
- Add the carrots, celery and zucchini and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the broth and bring to a boil.
- Cook the tortellini.
- Add the tortellini and cook for 5 minutes, or according to the package instructions.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the tomatoes and parsley, and season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into warmed bowls, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with the cheese and serve immediately.
**For a traditional Italian version of this hearty vegetable soup, garnish each serving with a spoonful of store-bought pesto. The pesto adds herbaceous notes to the simple soup. Round out the meal with a loaf of crusty Italian or whole-grain bread.