March is the beginning of artichoke season, making this Mediterranean-inspired recipe ideal for spring. Packed full of healthy herbs and spices, this recipe is as nutritious as it is flavorful. It’s a quick and easy dinner that is perfect for a fun dinner party or a romantic date night.
- 4 tablespoons ghee or unsalted butter, divided
- 4 cups frozen or canned artichoke hearts, defrosted/drained
- 1 cup pitted olives (mix of green and kalamata)
- ½ cup olive brine (from olives above)
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, or more to taste
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional; omit for nightshade free)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degree Fahrenheit.
- Grease a large oven-safe casserole dish or clay pot with 2 tablespoons of the ghee or butter.
- Place the artichoke hearts, olives and brine in the pan.
- Place the chicken thighs on top.
- In small mixing bowl, combine the turmeric, granulated garlic, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle enough of the spice blend over the chicken to coat the skin well, then distribute the rest over the artichoke hearts and olives.
- Top each chicken thigh with a small dollop of ghee or butter- about ¾ teaspoon.
- Cut half of the lemon into thin rounds and place them around the pan; squeeze the other half over the entire pan.
- If you’re using red chili flakes, sprinkle now.
- Bake for 20 minutes, covered.
- Then remove the lid and bake for another 15 – 20 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Serve and enjoy!