Numerous studies have explored the significant link between excessive sugar intake and an increased risk of depression, anxiety and other mental illnesses. Even a small reduction in sugar consumption can generate better overall health. Achieving a healthier mind and body can be as easy as cutting out sugar one meal per day.
Here is a savory, satisfying and sugar-free recipe from the “21-Day Sugar Detox” with very few steps for a simple meal that can be prepared for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- 8 slices bacon
- 8 eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1-teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 1 to 2 tablespoons bacon fat (reserved from cooking bacon)
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the bacon crosswise into ¼ inch strips.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until the fat is rendered and the meat is cooked, approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the bacon from the pan and drain on paper towels; reserve the fat.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, garlic, chives, basil, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Stir in the spinach.
- Grease a 9 by 11 inch baking dish with the reserved bacon fat, then pour the egg mixture into the pan.
- Top with the bacon pieces and cherry tomato halves.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the quiche puffs up and becomes golden brown on the edges.