August is National Coffee Month! Roughly 83 percent of Americans take pleasure in the warm aroma and bold flavor of a cup of coffee. Even if you are one of the minority of non-coffee drinkers, you can still celebrate the remaining days of National Coffee Month and nurture your emotional and mental health by adding it to your self-care routine!
- Hair: The texture of coffee grinds can improve your hair’s shine and remove build-up from months and even years of product buildup. This works best for dark hair, as coffee grounds may darken light hair.
- Exfoliation: Coffee grounds exfoliate your skin, leaving it smooth and refreshed. Mix coffee grounds with a little olive or coconut oil for an extra moisturizer.
- Reduces cellulite: By using the same coffee grounds and oil recipe as above, women can reduce the appearance of cellulite. Coffee is a diuretic and therefore will reduce the volume of water our fat cells store, minimizing their appearance temporarily.
- Beautiful skin: Caffeine has been shown to constrict blood vessels temporarily. By adding coffee grounds to your skin care routine, you can minimize your pores, reduce swelling under your eyes, and moisturize your skin without adding excess oil.
Face Mask Recipe:
- ½ Cup ground coffee beans
- ½ Cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp of honey
Mix coffee grounds with almond milk and stir to a paste, and then fold in lemon and honey. Apply to skin and let dry for up to 20 minutes. Wash off. The rest can be stored in a tightly sealed container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.