For a delightfully quick dinner, try this Pork Piccatta recipe with spinach and mashed potatoes. Set the pork over a plate of steamed spinach and a side of homemade mashed potatoes to create a meal that is filling and nutritious.
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ¼ pounds pork tenderloin, sliced crosswise into ¼ inch thick medallions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup white grape juice or water
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 Recipe Express “Steamed” Spinach - recipe to follow
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Combine the flour and ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a sealable plastic bag. Place the pork medallions in the bag and shake until well-coated. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet (not nonstick) over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, cook the pork until it is browned on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer the meat to a plate. Add the garlic to the same skillet, then immediately add the wine and cook over medium-high heat. As the wine reduces, stir to dissolve the small bits and juices remaining in the pan from the meat. Cook until the wine is reduced by about half, 4 to 5 minutes.
Add the chicken broth, lemon juice, capers and remaining salt and pepper and cook until the mixture has reduced slightly, an additional 3 to 4 minutes. Return the medallions to the skillet along with the remaining tablespoon of oil and heat until the sauce thickens and the meat is cooked to medium doneness, about 3 minutes.
Serve over the Express “Steamed” Spinach and Garlic Mashed Potatoes, and top with parsley.
Garlic Mashed Potatoes Ingredients:
- 1 ¼ pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, left unpeeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and quartered
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
Place the potatoes and garlic in a steamer basket fitted over a large pot of boiling water. Cover and steam until the potatoes are knife-tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Warm the chicken broth in a small saucepan on the stove or in a glass container in the microwave. Remove the steamer basket and drain the water from the large pot. Transfer the potatoes and garlic to the pot, add the oil, salt and broth, and mash until smooth.
Express “Steamed” Spinach Ingredients:
- 5 ounces pre-washed baby spinach leaves
Place the spinach in a large microwave-safe bowl and cover tightly. Microwave on high for 90 seconds.
Source: Ellie Krieger “So Easy”