This delicious recipe is full of flavor and is super easy to whip up any busy weeknight. It’s a Mediterranean inspired dish with healthy olives, tasty sausage, savory chicken and a hint of bold spices, making this dish a mouthwatering family favorite.
- 1 T plus 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 oz chorizo sausage with casing removed, sliced into 1/4″ rounds
- 1 lb skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 10 oz package frozen peas
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 large ripe tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced green Spanish pimento-stuffed olives
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground turmeric
- Small pinch of saffron threads
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat 1 T of oil in large heavy skillet over medium-high heat (use a skillet that has a lid to cover).
- Add the chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken and chorizo to a plate.
- Heat the remaining 2 tsp of oil in the skillet.
- Add the onion, and cook stirring until softened about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook for a minute more.
- Return the chicken and chorizo to the skillet.
- Add the chicken broth, peas, rice, tomato, olives, salt, pepper, turmeric, and saffron.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and transfer to the oven.
- Cook until the rice appears to be tender and the liquid is absorbed (about 30 minutes).
Source: So Easy Ellie Krieger