A Thai-inspired salad with a combination of sweet, tart and spicy is sometimes just the thing to reawaken your sense of taste and give your mental health a treat. Comfort food is just that---comforting! So enjoy this veggie and fruit salad with grilled beef on top, you’ll get a burst of energy to complement the party on your palate.
- 1 ¼ pounds shoulder center steak (ranch steak) or top sirloin steak, boneless
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large jicama (about 1 ½ pounds), peeled
- 2 green apples (about 1 pound), cored
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 3 tablespoons chopped roasted peanuts
Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Season the steak with the salt and pepper and grill until medium-rare, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Let the meat rest for 5 minutes, then cut across the grain into ¼-inch-thick slices.
In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, vinegar, and sugar and whisk until the sugar is partially dissolved. Using the shredder attachment of a food processor, shred the jicama and apples; transfer to a bowl. Add the cilantro, lime zest, jalapeno, and dressing, and toss to combine.
To serve, mound 1 ½ cups of the salad into each serving bowl and top with about 7 slices of beef. Garnish each bowl with additional cilantro leaves and about 2 teaspoons of toasted peanuts. Serve immediately.