I love the word mojo as it refers to someone’s magnetic and dynamic energy, the kind that people gravitate to. I’ve been known to form an addiction to a person who displays the mojo I happen to be craving. That kind of relationship also has the tendency to morph into codependency, but I’m talking about the healthy kind of craving.
What I didn’t know about the word mojo is that it also refers to the Caribbean condiment made with garlic, citrus and oil. This recipe could most definitely inspire a craving sometime after having it for the first time.
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- ½ cup mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 Portobello mushroom caps (about 4 ounces)
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- Cooking spray
- 1 (1-pound) boneless beef shoulder steak
- To prepare sauce, combine first 8 ingredients in a food processor, process until smooth. Place in a small bowl.
- To prepare mojo, combine cilantro and next 5 ingredients (through 1 garlic clove) in a food processor, process until smooth. Place mojo in a small bowl.
- Remove brown gills from the undersides of Portobello mushrooms using a spoon, discard gills.
- Cut each mushroom into 6 slices; set aside.
- Steam green beans 3 minutes or until tender, keep warm.
- Heat a nonstick grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Coat pan with cooking spray.
- Add steak, and cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Remove from pan, cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices.
- Toss mushrooms with half of sauce, add to pan.
- Stir-fry 1 minute, remove from pan.
- Return steak to pan; cook 2 minutes or until desired degree of doneness.
- Drizzle steak with remaining sauce.
- Arrange steak, mushrooms, and green beans on serving plates. Serve with mojo.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3 ounces steak, 3 mushroom slices, 1 cup green beans, and about 1 tablespoon mojo).
Source: Cooking Light