Replacing the butter in these cookies with avocado yields a much healthier alternative that will satisfy your craving for sweets. The cocoa powder and dark chocolate mask the avocado flavor, making a soft, sweet, and healthy snack everyone (including the kids) will enjoy!
Tip: try replacing the butter in your favorite cookie recipe with avocado … it works!
- 1 avocado (mashed)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 c. sugar (or 1/4 c. white + 1/4 c. brown)
- 1/2 c. cocoa powder
- 1/3 c. flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Dark chocolate chunks or chips (to taste)
Try replacing the sugars with 1/2 cup of coconut sugar or 2-3 tablespoons of raw honey for a healthier alternative
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients separately, then combine adding the dark chocolate chunks/chips last.
- Drop large tablespoons of the mix onto parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10 minutes.
This recipe lends itself well to additions, such as nuts, berries, or spices like cinnamon and nutmeg … mashed banana could also be added in place of some of the avocado!
The health benefits of avocado include:
- packed with nutrients
- “healthy fat”
- good for eye health
- good for arthritis symptoms
- cancer preventative
- curbs appetite, aiding in weight loss
The health benefits of “dark” chocolate include:
- full of antioxidants
- improves blood flow lowering blood pressure
- aids in preventing heart disease
- improves brain function