Pesto is everywhere. But the most rewarding versions of pesto are those accompanied by something special. In this case, artichokes and sun-dried tomatoes make for a pesto dream-come-true, if you ask me. Food can, and should be, nurturing as well as nourishing, and I have always found this combination to be both.
The soft texture and woodsy flavor of the artichoke has benefits beyond the unique aesthetic value of this delectable thistle. Considered a superfood, it has the power to detox your liver and lower your cholesterol. The ORAC method (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) gives it a rating of 9,400, which places it in one of the top-10 fruits and vegetables considered most beneficial.
- 1/3 cup water-packed canned artichoke hearts, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup reconstituted sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped red onions
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Four 4-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
- Spread the artichoke hearts and garlic evenly over a baking sheet and lightly spray with canola oil spray.
- Roast for 15 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Place the roasted artichokes and garlic in a food processor.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes, onions, Parmesan, oregano, and lime juice and pulse until well-combined.
- Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the pesto is smooth and reaches a spreadable consistency.
- Season the chicken with the salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Sauté the chicken for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Serve each chicken breast with ¼ cup pesto.
Source: Canyon Ranch: Nourish