Try this easy, healthy and delicious salad for a snack, side dish or full meal. This sweet potato salad is sweet, tangy, creamy and beautiful.
Sweet potatoes are full of valuable nutrients such as fiber, which helps keep you full, with a burst of long-lasting energy. Having complex carbohydrates, like fiber, in your diet can even help improve your mood and energy level by allowing neurotransmitters like serotonin be manufactured in the body. This is helpful if you are someone struggling with depression or a fluctuating mood. It also helps lower cholesterol, and keeps your digestive tract moving smoothly.
The bright, rich orange color comes from phytonutrients called carotenoids, including alpha and beta carotenoid and beta-crytoxanthin. These phytonutrients function as antioxidants, protecting the body’s cells from free radical damage and cancer development. These antioxidants also help with strengthening the immune system and bones, and improving skin and hair health.
If cooking intimidates you, no fears. This recipe is super simple and quick.
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 shallot, sliced (or onion)
- Few springs cilantro, chopped (parsley is good too)
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Place cubed sweet potatoes in a boiling water and cook for about 10-13 min; sweet potatoes cook faster than regular potatoes, so keep an eye on them so as not to overcook them. There are few other methods of cooking them, like steaming and baking in the oven. I’ve used them all and they all work, so pick what’s easy for you.
- In a small bowl, mix vinegar and olive oil; add salt, pepper, cilantro and shallots.
- After the potatoes are cooked, move them in a bowl and pour the dressing over, stir and enjoy.