With Thanksgiving fast approaching, I’m sure a dish on everyone’s table is the iconic Sweet Potato Casserole! There is a way to enjoy this delicious side dish without having anxiety about extra calories or fats. Here is a simple recipe for Maple Glazed Sweet Potatoes that will have your guests saying “what casserole?”
- 1 cup pure organic maple syrup (any brand works)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil (additional for pan)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon or 3 cinnamon sticks
- 3.5 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ cup water
- 2-3 Tablespoons roasted, unsalted walnuts (or another nut of your liking)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl combine the maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, water, oil, salt, and cinnamon.
- After combining all ingredients mix in your sweet potatoes, making sure to coat all cubes with the maple mixture.
- Lightly coat your baking dish with oil and then place your sweet potatoes in the baking dish.
- Place foil tightly around the pan and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Uncover and cook for an additional 30-35 minutes.
- Every 10 minutes pull the pan out and brush your sweet potatoes with the glaze that has fallen to the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from the oven when the maple mixture has thickened and your sweet potatoes are glistened and begin to brown.
- Before serving top with your roasted walnuts and enjoy!
With this simple 3-step recipe you have removed many unnecessary calories. You have omitted the heavy cream and evaporated milk products that the casserole would have called for and instead used organic maple syrup, and for that, this Thanksgiving you and your sweet potatoes will be sure to shine!