Not your usual hash skillet, this one is filled with festive fall vegetables forming a nest for sunny baked eggs. This dish is great if you’re looking for a protein packed breakfast with healthy leafy greens incorporated. Rather than starting your day off with sugar-filled, carb-heavy donuts, pastries, waffles, or pancakes; start your day with something nourishing that will give you energy, motivation and mental clarity. With the cold months here, this is a perfect warm, seasonal meal to stave off the winter blues and depression.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small onion, minced (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 medium butternut squash or 1 whole acorn squash (1 1/4 pounds), halved, seeded, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (3 1/2 cups)
- 10 ounces carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups packed coarsely chopped kale (from 1 small bunch)
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, and cilantro, then season with salt and pepper.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large straight-sided ovenproof skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium-high.
- Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes.
- Add squash and carrots, season with salt and pepper, and transfer to oven.
- Roast, stirring once, until golden and tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Stir kale into squash mixture, along with 1/4 cup cilantro mixture.
- Return to oven 7 minutes.
- Make 4 wells in vegetables and crack an egg into each.
- Season eggs with salt.
- Return to oven and bake until whites are set but yolks are still runny, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Serve, drizzled with more cilantro dressing.
PREP: 30 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR 5 MINS