Before I start to share a recipe I would first like to share the amazing benefits of chia seeds. Yes, you read that correctly, chia. The tiny quick growing seeds are packed with nutrients and are an amazing addition to baking recipes, used as a topping, or a natural thickener for puddings and jams.
Fun Facts about the powerful and small chia seed:
- Chia seeds are the highest plant based source of omega 3 fatty acids, which are essential for keeping you heart healthy, lowering blood pressure and cholesterol and reducing your risk of cardiovascular and heart disease.
- Two tablespoons of chia seeds give you an amazing 10 grams of fiber, which is almost half of your daily requirement. Fiber will keep you full and allow a slow release of energy.
- Chia’s ability to keep you full is also enhanced by the fact that the seeds absorb up to ten times their weight in liquid once eaten, which is awesome.
- On top of all of this chia seeds are also great sources of protein and minerals including iron, calcium, magnesium and zinc, all of which are essential to a healthy body as they regulate blood oxygenation, metabolism, skin and bone health as well as keeping your skin clear and glowing.
After all of those amazing benefits, who wouldn’t want to try chia seeds? My first taste was sprinkling chia on my morning yogurt to add nutrients. Honestly, sprinkling seeds felt more like adding sprinkles! Since that first try, I have kept going with new ways to incorporate chia seeds in my every day diet. Below is a recipe for chia pudding, and it can be perfect for breakfast with fruit or nuts on top, or served as dessert with a side of dark chocolate.
Vanilla Chia Pudding
- 2/3 cup chia seeds
- 2 cups unsweetened milk of choice (soymilk, almondmilk, ricemilk , coconut milk, or dairy all work well)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
Put chia seeds, milk and vanilla in a 1-quart glass jar with a lid. Tighten the lid and shake well to thoroughly combine. Or, stir together seeds, milk and vanilla in a bowl. Refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve, stir well. Spoon into bowls and top with desired topping.
- almonds + peaches
- fresh mint + mango
- pistachios + strawberries
- cinnamon + apples
Chia Facts: Deliciously Ella
Recipe: Whole Foods Market