Summer is quickly approaching, which means it’s the perfect time to fight depression with some sunshine, times outdoors, exercise, and of course lots and lots of fresh seasonal plants! Colorful fruits and vegetables offer a wide array of essential vitamins and minerals and phytonutreints. Like tomatoes, they are great source of potassium, vitamin C and lycopene that improve skin health, fight cancer and strengthen the immune system. Try these chicken tacos with fresh tomatoes, avocado, lime, cilantro and onions this season!
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for brushing grill
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 6 8-inch flour tortillas, warmed
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2/3 cup Hidden Valley Cilantro Lime Ranch
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced (optional)
- Preheat a grill to 425 degrees.
- Cover chicken with plastic wrap and pound to an even thickness using the flat side of a meat mallet, remove plastic wrap.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Brush both sides of chicken evenly with olive oil then sprinkle evenly with the spice mixture.
- Brush grill grates lightly with oil, place chicken on grill and grill about 3 1/2 - 4 minutes per side until chicken registers 165 degrees in center.
- Transfer to a plate, cover with foil and let rest 10 minutes.
- Then cut chicken into cubes, pour juices from plate and lime juice over chicken and toss.
- Transfer chicken to tortillas, top with lettuce, cheese, Cilantro Lime Ranch, tomatoes and onions.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 servings