With springtime upon us, most people are spending their days outside in the garden planting everything from vegetables to vibrant flowers. Today I am going to give you guys a recipe that allows you to use those freshly grown herbs and flowers. Two of my favorite garden items are roses and lavender, not only do they make your yard smell wonderful but they can also be incorporated into a lot of dessert items this time of year. One thing you MUST be certain of before using either of these two items from your own garden is that neither of them has been in any contact with fertilizers. Make sure you are getting organically grown products from either places such as Whole Foods, local nurseries in your area, and if you know you haven’t used any fertilizers in your own garden use those! This recipe is about enjoying the wonderful items of spring that can be found in your very own backyard. Not only can you look at the beauty of spring but now you can taste it too! Enjoy!
Lavender- Rose Petal Teacakes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbs. lavender buds
- 1 tsp. dried rose petals
- ¾ cup almonds, chopped
- Pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a Kitchen Aid cream together the butter, sugar, and almond extract.
- Add flour, salt, chopped almonds, lavender buds, dried rose petals, and nutmeg.
- Mix well to incorporate all ingredients.
- Roll 1” dough balls and place them on an ungreased sheet pan.
- Bake cookies for 9-10 minutes, until bottoms are slightly browned.
- After cooled slightly, roll in additional powdered sugar.