I don’t do it often, but I follow the tabloids, the news, and the entertainment articles that give glimpses into the personal lives of the stars. Their lives are not much different than our own. Break ups, pairings, new couples, rough patches, the general ups and downs we all face. Drama is what fills the movie theatres, and keeps us turning pages in our novels. I follow a few of my favorite actors and am interested by who they are dating or what decisions they make in their personal lives. When I read a headline or see the news, it is sometime fun to get caught up in the drama. I am not really involved or in the middle of taking sides or having to help someone choose.
In real life, our friends and family go through ups and downs including real tabloid level drama and it can be difficult not to get involved. Even our own lives may have dramatic elements or overwhelming situations. To stay healthy through recovery and to focus on your own wellness you need to focus on yourself and avoid unneeded drama.
How to avoid drama:
- Start with a reality check. Gauge both sides and what is really happening.
- Do not make assumptions. There is an old saying about this, but in general, assumptions lead everyone astray.
- If possible, remove yourself from the situation. If you are in the middle of contagious drama a quick cure is removing yourself from the situation. I’m not advocating running away, but a day of self care of time to redirect on yourself can be essential. It won’t solve all your problems, but it may give you space to process and come back with a healthier approach.
- Seek help. Sometimes we have real life drama that we have to work through. A complicated break up or divorce, legal issues, or business troubles. The quickest way to handle it is to address the issues at hand with the proper expertise. Seek legal council or therapy, request a second opinion and….
- Make a plan. Use what you know and what you have learned to make a strategy. Manage the true issues at hand, and make a plan for future issues in the future. There are always ups and downs, but be prepared to handle them and no drama can get in your way.