- Many individuals who abuse prescription medications have a difficult time seeing this due to the fact that these medications are prescribed by a doctor.
- It is easier for them to justify their behavior to those around them.
- Many people become addicted to prescription drugs due to pain management issues and become paralyzed with fear of the pain which is why they continue to take the medication without exploring other options.
- There are many different alternatives for pain management outside of taking habit forming medications.
Self-evaluation: Do I have a prescription abuse/addiction problem?
- Most individuals will suffer from some level of depression at some point in their life.
- The signs of depression in woman are not always visible. Many women will push through their depression for a very long time, presenting as having everything together on the outside while falling apart on the inside.
- There are still stigmas attached to depression, that it is a matter of willpower and that those suffering are just not trying hard enough.
- These feelings of deep depression can lead to suicide if not addressed in treatment.
Self-evaluation: Am I depressed?
- Everyone struggles with anxiety from time to time but when anxiety gets out of control it can be incapacitating.
- When we allow our anxiety to get really high, we run the risk of having panic attacks.
- Panic attacks can take on many different forms which at times makes it difficult to identify if this is a panic attack or a physical condition.
- When we are not coping in a healthy way with our anxiety we tend to take this tension into our work, home life and relationships.
Self-evaluation: Do I suffer from an anxiety disorder?
- Most people think of grief as the feelings of sadness that occur after the loss of a loved one but there are many different forms of grief. Grief can occur with any major life change, such as changing careers, medical issues, or moving. Grief can also occur when there were expectations of what your life would look like and the realization that this is not what it will look like.
- If you are not able to manage your feelings of grief, it can lead to deep depression and the potential for thoughts of suicide.
- Everyone grieves differently and so one cannot compare the way she is grieving to how others grieve. Everyone grieves at their own pace and in their own ways
Self-evaluation: Should I seek treatment for my grief and loss?
- Many women look to shop in order to fill the void that they are feeling within.
- Individuals with shopping addictions often have a great deal of conflict within the family due to the financial hardship that this habit has caused.
- Many women find that when they are depressed or bored, that shopping helps to improve their mood.
- Often purchases are justified as being on sale. Women who struggling with shopping addiction often hide their purchases to prevent arguments or do to the shame that they feel from purchasing these items.
Self-evaluation: Do I have an addiction to shopping?
- Bipolar disorder is when individuals have periods of feeling "up" and then periods of feeling "down"
- There are many different patterns to the cycles of bipolar.
- Many individuals with bipolar disorder want to treat the depression because it is so uncomfortable yet do not want to treat the mania because it can feel good.
- Many individuals with bipolar disorder tend to stop taking their medications as a result of the above.
Self-evaluation: Am I bipolar?
- There are so many women who suffer from PTSD as a result of some type of traumatic event.
- There is not one specific type of event that can cause PTSD.
- Many individuals with PTSD use alcohol or other substances as a way to cope with their disorder.
- Many individuals who have PTSD are misdiagnosed with other disorders because the symptoms can be very similar to those of other disorders.
- Many women go untreated for their PTSD.
Self-evaluation: Do I have post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)?
- Most people with ADHD/ADD believe that they are less intelligent than most but in reality, people with this disorder tend to be above average intelligence.
- People with ADHD/ADD tend to be very creative.
- This disorder can cause a lot of problems in interpersonal relationships due to the impulsivity and difficulty focusing.
- Most people with this disorder struggled in school.
Self-evaluation: Do I have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)?
- All people deal with stress on a daily basis. Stress is just the way we adapt to changes in our environment.
- If we do not learn to manage our stress levels in a more healthy manner it can cause long term physical and psychological problems.
- Some people feel that they thrive under stress but this can also be very difficult on the body and soul.
- Our lack of coping skills regarding stress often causes us to lash out at those we love.
Self-evaluation: Am I suffering from excessive stress?