One of southeast Asia’s most famous dishes, this fragrant Indonesian curry seasons tender beef with ginger, coconut, lemongrass, chilies and spices for unforgettable flavor.
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced peeled ginger
- 1-1/2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 5 cloves)
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce (such as Lee Kum Kee)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 to 2 Serrano chilies, chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk, divided
- 2/3 cup flaked unsweetened coconut, toasted
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 (3-inch) fresh lemongrass stalks, crushed
- 2 pounds boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat free, lower sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups hot cooked basmati rice
- Place the first nine ingredients in a food processor or mini chopper.
- Add ¼ cup coconut milk and process until smooth.
- Spoon mixture into a bowl and set aside.
- Place three tablespoons coconut milk and flaked coconut in food processor; process until a smooth paste forms.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add shallot mixture; cook 1 minute or until fragrant, stirring constantly.
- Stir in remaining coconut milk, rind, and next five ingredients (through the broth); bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 1 ½ hours or until beef is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Discard lemongrass.
- Stir in flaked coconut mixture; simmer 10 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.
Source: Cooking Light Easy Winter Recipes