Orzo, though much like rice in appearance, is actually a type of small Italian pasta. Served alongside chicken and topped with sun-dried tomatoes, it makes a flavorful and filling meal. To put this all together, boil the orzo before making the chicken roulades and finish adding tomatoes and feta while the chicken finishes simmering.
Ingredients | Chicken Roulades
- 12 pitted kalamata olives, divided
- 3 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons minced oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced lemon zest
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6 oz. each), trimmed of fat
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 1 ¾ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Ingredients | Orzo
- 1 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup dry orzo pasta (4 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons minced oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese (1 oz.)
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Preparation | Roulades
- Dice 6 olives and set aside.
- Process remaining 6 olives, breadcrumbs, tomatoes, zest, garlic and oregano in a food processor until minced.
- Using a meat mallet, pound chicken between plastic wrap to a thickness of ¼-inch.
- Spread olive-tomato filling on chicken.
- Roll chicken; secure with toothpicks.
- Sauté roulades in oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, 4 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a plate.
- Add onion to the skillet; sauté 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring mixture to a boil; add diced olives and chicken rolls.
- Cover skillet; reduce heat.
- Simmer chicken rolls 10 minutes; remove chicken to a plate.
- Whisk together lemon juice and cornstarch; stir into sauce in skillet.
- Simmer for 1 minute.
- Slice rolls and serve with sauce.
Preparation | Orzo
- Bring broth to a boil in a small saucepan; stir in orzo.
- Return liquid to a boil.
- Cook orzo, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed, 9 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Stir tomatoes and feta into orzo, mixing until feta melts slightly.
- Season orzo mixture with salt and pepper and serve with chicken rolls.
Source: Cuisine Lite