Looking for a quick and simple dinner? This low-calorie shrimp skewer with white beans, rosemary and arugula recipe takes only 30 minutes and is packed full of nutrients and flavor!
Leafy greens such as arugula are a great source of Vitamin A, C, and K, which promotes mental health; while rosemary’s aroma can boost your mood, increase circulation and improve digestion. And white beans are low on the glycemic index; contain fiber and protein; and contain a large amount of antioxidants.
As the weather warms and the evenings are brighter, bring out the grill and give this simple but delicious recipe a try!
- 16 fresh or frozen extra-large shrimp in shells (about 1 lb)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (2 teaspoons minced)
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons oil-packed dried tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 8 cups lightly packed arugula leaves, fresh spinach, and/or watercress, tough stems removed
- 1 15-oz can cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 8 long sprigs fresh rosemary (optional)
Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact. Thread shrimp onto four 8-inch skewers, leaving a ¼-inch space between pieces. In a small bowl combine 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, the minced garlic, and 1 teaspoon of the rosemary. Brush all of the oil mixture over shrimp on skewers.
If using a charcoal grill, place skewers on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 8 minutes or until shrimp are opaque. For a gas grill, preheat grill, reduce heat to medium. Place skewers on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill till opaque.
Meanwhile, in a very large skillet combine the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, the remaining 1-tablespoon rosemary, the sliced garlic, crushed red pepper, kosher salt, and black pepper. Cook over medium-low heat about 8 minutes or until garlic is lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in lemon peel, lemon juice, tomatoes, and parsley.
Add half of the arugula, the beans, and onion to mixture in skillet. Cook, tossing constantly, just until arugula begins to wilt. Add the remaining arugula, cook, tossing constantly about 1 minute more or just until arugula is wilted.
Divide arugula mixture among four dinner plates. If desired, remove shrimp from wooden skewers and skewer two shrimp on each rosemary sprig. Serve shrimp with arugula mixture.
Note: When using wooden skewers, make sure to soak in water for 1 hour before grilling.
Source: Sonoma Diet Cookbook