Cooking and trying new things can improve our mood and reduce depression. Healthy eating is an integral part of remaining balanced with physical and mental heath. Give polenta a try by pairing it with this delicious, creamy sauce that makes this hearty meal perfect for staying cozy during the cooler autumn nights.
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 ½ cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 cup uncooked polenta
- 4 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 ½ teaspoon of the olive oil to pan, and swirl to coat.
- Remove sausage from casings.
- Add sausage to pan, and sauté 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble.
- Remove sausage from pan.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat.
- Add chopped onion; sauté 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cremini mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add minced garlic; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in sausage, 1/8 teaspoon salt and diced tomatoes; bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium; simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Bring chicken broth and 1 ½ cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Add polenta, stirring well.
- Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 20 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, cheese and butter.
- Serve with sausage mixture.
Yield: 4 Servings
Source: Cooking Light