This green and red salad is a perfect alternative to traditional heavy December foods. The healthy spinach mix, chopped walnuts, pomegranate, mushrooms and avocado are loaded with nutrients that help keep our physical health strong as well as our mental health. Add some savory bacon and a little brown sugar for a warm taste of the season.
- 10 oz fresh spinach leaves, washed, dried, and stemmed
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 pomegranate, seeds only
- 1 c thinly sliced mushrooms
- ½ c coarsely chopped walnuts
- 3 slices bacon
- ¼ c brown sugar
- ½ c cider vinegar
- 1/3 c olive oil
- Freshly cracked black pepper, about ½ tsp.
- Place torn spinach leaves, avocado slices, pomegranate seeds and sliced mushrooms into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a large, dry skillet, toast walnut pieces over high heat for 1-1 ½ minutes, shaking and tossing constantly.
- Sprinkle over salad.
- In same skillet, fry bacon until crisp and remove from pan.
- Pour off all but 1 tbsp of fat.
- Over medium heat, blend in sugar, vinegar, oil and pepper; heat through, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved.
- Crumble bacon over salad, pour hot dressing over, toss and serve.
Source: Susan Branch