This inventive take on the classic Waldorf salad is a great way to incorporate winter greens into any meal. The omega 3s in walnuts are an excellent way to fight off chronic inflammation that can lead to depression, and beets are a great source of potassium and manganese, both of which support good brain function and mental health. Served as an appetizer this delicious salad is sure to please a crowd.
- 1/8 cup grape seed oil
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Honey Flavored Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp. minced shallot
- 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. mixed green lettuces
- 3/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1 tart apple, thinly sliced
- 1 raw medium beet, very thinly sliced
- Place grape seed oil into a bowl and, while whisking, slowly add lemon juice. Stir in buttermilk, Greek yogurt, and shallots. Season dressing with salt and pepper.
- Toss lettuce in a bowl with three-fourths of dressing; season with salt and pepper. Divide salad between plates. Garnish with nuts, apples, and beets; drizzle with remaining dressing.
Recipe Adapted From: http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Winter-Salad-with-Buttermilk-Dressing