A hot bath is as relaxing as a steamy shower. Last week’s self care recipe brought you a sugar scrub to exfoliate in the shower. But sometimes, standing in moist air and pelting water isn’t enough and a bath is in order.
When we are angry or anxious, a bath is an especially perfect opportunity to unwind. It forces us to stay still in an environment that relaxes the muscles and soothes the mind. The addition of skin-softening oats and relaxing essential oils increases the therapeutic benefits of this activity.
These adorable sachets can be customized with your choice of fabric and essential oils and make great gifts as well. The oatmeal moisturizes and soothes skin, while essential oils have a variety of therapeutic benefits and can be chosen based on your needs.
Gather the following ingredients: old fashioned oats, skim or buttermilk powder, the essential oil of your choice, thin fabric (like muslin), and pinking shears.
- Using your pinking shears, cut eight 4-inch by 6-inch rectangles of muslin or patterned cloth.
- Place two rectangles together and sew three sides together to make a cloth bag. Repeat with remaining rectangles.
- In a bowl, add two cups of oatmeal, one cup of powdered milk and 20 drops of your chosen essential oil.
- Stir the mixture together until well blended.
- Divide the mixture evenly among prepared bags.
- Sew each sachet shut and trim as needed.
Try one of these sweet-smelling sachets next time you feel stress or anxiety creeping up on you. See how relaxed and rejuvenated you feel, ready to take on life with joy and a fresh perspective.