This simple slow-cooker recipe couldn’t be healthier. White beans are very high in fiber, protein and slow-digesting carbohydrates. Because they are so low on the glycemic index, white beans don’t spike blood sugar levels. This helps us feel fuller longer and keeps cravings and mood swings at bay.
If you prefer a spicier chili, feel free to add cayenne pepper, chili powder, red pepper flakes or the spices of your choice. Leftovers can be frozen or kept in the fridge for several days.
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 (19-ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can no salt added whole-kernel corn, drained
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons (1 ½-ounces) pre-shredded reduced-fat Mexican blend or cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons reduced fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Baked tortilla chips (optional)
- Combine the first 13 ingredients in an electric slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for one hour.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for four hours.
- Ladle 1 cup chili into each of six soup bowls; top each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese, 1 tablespoon sour cream and 1 teaspoon cilantro.
- Garnish with tortilla chips, if desired.
Yield: 6 servings.
Source: Cooking Light: Make it Simple