One of the best things about winter’s early arrival is the urge to whip up some delicious, soul-warming soup! This carrot, ginger and coconut soup pairs perfectly with slice of honey baked ham or baguette, but can also stand alone as a light meal in itself.
- 6 carrots
- 4 parsnips
- 2 stalks of celery
- 3 cups of boiling water
- 1/2 a cup of coconut milk
- An inch of ginger
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- A sprinkling of chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- Salt and pepper (optional)
- 4 Portobello mushrooms
- A large handful of pumpkin seeds
- Start by peeling the carrots and parsnips, then chop them and the celery into small, bite-sized slices.
- Place the veggies into a saucepan with the peeled ginger, paprika, chili flakes, salt & pepper, plus the boiling water and then allow it all to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes the veggies should be nice and soft.
- At this point transfer them and all their water to a blender, adding the coconut milk and apple cider vinegar and blend until creamy – you may want to add more water at this point depending on how thick you like your soup.
- While the soup blends chop the mushrooms in half, then thinly slice them.
- Sauté them in a frying pan with olive oil, dried mixed herbs, chili flakes and salt, adding in the pumpkin seeds as they begin to brown.
- Then pour your soup into bowls and place the mushroom seed mix on top.