This easy to make foot cream can be a wonderful part of your nightly sleep routine. As an earlier blog mentioned, scent can either help or hinder sleep. Sweet smells send us more quickly into slumber while unpleasant smells detract from our sleep quality and can keep us awake. The lavender in this balm boosts deep sleep while vanilla soothes and relaxes. Both have been shown to have a calming effect that reduces symptoms of anxiety and lulls us right to sleep.
Try rubbing this into tired or dry feet at night and following with a warm pair of socks. The socks will allow the cream to sink into your feet, resulting in wonderfully soft skin!
- ¼ cup shea butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ ounce piece of beeswax, grated
- 10 drops vanilla essential oil
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- Mix together all ingredients in a small saucepan over very low heat. Stir until melted.
- Remove from heat. Stir until well combined and add desired essential oils.
- Pour into a sealable glass jar.
- To use, take a small amount into your palm and massage into feet. Focus on particularly dry areas like heels and toes.
- Relax for 15 minutes, enjoying the scent of your rub. Then put on thick socks and let yourself fall right asleep!
You can make another version of this rub with peppermint oil to regenerate and refresh tired feet. In fact, any combination of essential oils you enjoy could make a wonderful balm – myrrh and vanilla, mandarin, chamomile and jasmine, or sandalwood all make centering, calming or comforting scents.