It doesn’t get much simpler or more delicious than this Italian sausage and beans dish. The red pepper spice, parsley, garlic and black pepper add immense flavor without the need for salt. Cannellini beans are a rich source of fiber that supports a strong heart and healthy digestive system. Containing thiamin and the detoxifying sulfite molybdenum, this recipe is good for physical and mental health. As a stress-free dinner that takes no more than an hour to whip up, this is sure to be a go-to meal in every household.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 pork sausages
- 5 garlic cloves cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes (pelati)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 fresh bay leaves
- 2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add the sausages and sauté for 8 minutes, or until browned on all sides.
- Remove and let the sausages rest on a plate. (As a substitute, the sausages can be broiled in the oven for the same amount of time.)
- Add the garlic to the pan and sauté for 1 minute, or until golden brown.
- Then, add the red pepper flakes and stir for 1 minute.
- Using your hand, break up the tomatoes and add to the pan.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste, stir with a wooden spoon, reduce the heat to medium low, and partially cover the pan with a lid.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, or until the tomatoes have broken down and thickened to a sauce consistency.
- Add the sausages- along with any juices from the plate- and the bay leaves, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the beans, stir well, and simmer for another 10 minutes to heat through and blend the flavors.
- Transfer to plates and garnish with chopped parsley before serving.
Source: Extra Virgin